Friday, July 11, 2008

pisco punch

Here is the recipe of the Pisco Punch I made for Tim & Jess's Fourth of July cookout last week. They requested a punch and I chose the Pisco despite the Patriot Punch being the most appropriate namewise. The recipe is a hybrid of a few classic recipes and one by Audrey Saunders. I went with pitcher format since I did not want to lug our punch bowl up and the thought of an open bowl outdoors did not seem too appealing to me. I brought enough to make two batches, and both were gone around the time Q showed up to make his drink concoction... Tim and Jess found ~5 oz plastic glasses which were perfect for the punch since it was 20% alcohol (it would otherwise be served in 3-4 oz punch cups).

• 25.6 oz Pisco (1 x 750 mL bottle)
• 8 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
• 8 oz Pineapple Juice
• 4 oz Simple Syrup (1:1 Sugar:Water)
• 4 oz Water
• 2 oz Homemade Citrus Bitters(*)

Pre-chill the ingredients(**). Mix in a pitcher or bowl. Serve.

(*) Homemade Citrus Bitters:
• 1 1/2 tsp Grated Lime Peel
• 1 1/2 tsp Grated Grapefruit Peel
• 1 1/2 tsp Grated Lemon Peel
• 2 1/4 oz Pisco/Vodka/Gin

Prepare in advance and strain. I used Bombay Gin and let it extract for a week at room temperature. The recipe I acquired the rind aspect from only used white grapefruit and lime rind, but I figured that the lemon rind which was otherwise going into the compost heap and would probably do well in the mix. Also, my grapefruit was pink (if that even matters rind-wise, I'm not sure).

(**) The Pisco was chilled in the freezer overnight and the rest of the ingredients in the fridge. An insulated bag kept everything cool on the hour ride and walk to their place. I was trying to avoid the use of ice which would dilute the punch and change the flavor over time.

No comments: