Saturday, June 27, 2009

ancient mariner

3/4 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 oz Grapefruit Juice
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1/4 oz Pimento Dram (St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram)
1 oz Demerara Rum (Lemon Hart 80 Proof)
1 oz Dark Jamaican Rum (Appleton 12 Year)

Shake with ice and strain into a double old-fashioned glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with a lime wedge and mint sprig.

I was really excited when I picked up my mail on Friday and discovered that my copy of Beachbum Berry's Grog Log had arrived. It was a book I had wanted for some time now, and sure Amazon and Half.com vendors had copies, but it did not seem worth the $100 a copy they were asking. When I heard news earlier in the week on Chowhound that it and Intoxica would be republished, I checked on Amazon. Amongst their overpriced used copies was a single new one for cover price (and as of today there are 7!) and I snatched it up immediately. When I opened up the book and flipped to the recipe section, I saw the first one, the Ancient Mariner, and knew that I had to start there.


The Ancient Mariner is one of Jeff Berry's original creations. The drink was a lot drier than expected given the recipe and especially given the genre of tiki drinks in general. Moreover, it had a nice spice level from the pimento dram, even at a quarter of an ounce, to complement the rich flavors of the rums and the light bite of the citrus. And judging from how fast Andrea drained hers, it was a big hit here.

1 comment:

JK Grence (the Cosmic Jester) said...

Pimento dram is one of those liqueurs where a little goes a long way. I would imagine that anything more than 1/4 ounce in any recipe would produce a very dominant flavor of allspice.