Friday, November 18, 2011

journey through the night

2 oz Tru Organic Gin
1 1/4 oz Plymouth Sloe Gin
1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur
1/2 oz Lime Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

On Thursday last week after the Science of Cocktails lecture at Harvard, a few of us caught a nightcap at Russell House Tavern. When I first saw the Journey Through the Night a few months ago, I inquired about the proportions for I was wondering whether it was an equal parts Last Word variant. Alas, it was not and my attention was drawn away to other tempting libations on the menu on my next few visits. That night it called out to me again, and I answered. While the name reminded me of Louis-Ferdinand Céline's Journey to the End of the Night, it may be named after a book by Dutch author Anne de Vries. However, I did not have a chance to ask what inspired bartender Kyle Powell when he created it.
The Journey Through the Night showcased the Tru Organic Gin's aroma along with some Maraschino and sloe berry notes. The sip presented the fruitiness of the sloe gin and lime, and the swallow ended rather crisp and dry with gin flavors followed by Maraschino and additional lime notes on the aftertaste.

No comments: