Tuesday, November 22, 2011

[sweetwater kill]

1 1/2 oz La Favorite Amber Rhum
1/4 oz Atkins & Potts Rosehip Syrup
1 oz Cardamaro
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/4 oz Demerara Simple Syrup
1 Egg White

Shake once without ice and once with. Double strain into a rocks glass.

For my nightcap at Craigie on Main, bartender Ted Gallagher had a drink to show me using an intriguing rosehip syrup he found at Christina's Spice and Specialty Foods in Inman Square. The rosehip syrup reminded Ted of rhum agricole, and to match that concept, he utilized an aged La Favorite. In letting me taste the rhum straight, Ted commented that he found it to be quite earthy with aromas of new leather, and it reminded chef Tony Maws of white truffles.
The drink began with the aroma of rhum agricole, lemon juice, and something funky that could have been the Cardamaro or the rosehip syrup. The sip paired the lemon with the rosehips, and this was followed by the rhum agricole and the herbal notes from the Cardamaro on the swallow.

2 comments:

Seth Drallitoc said...

I wonder if this was named after the Rasputina Song of the same name...?

"Loose lips sink ships.
Salt sips rose hips."

frederic said...

It very well could have been. It was 11 years ago though and I didn't make note of it. I have a few Rasputina albums in my collection.