Thursday, February 9, 2012

gilroy

1/3 Gin (1 oz Beefeater)
1/3 Cherry Brandy (1 oz Cherry Heering)
1/6 Dry Vermouth (1/2 oz Noilly Prat)
1/6 Lemon Juice (1/2 oz)
1 dash Orange Bitters (Regan's)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

After the Armistice Cocktail, I opened up Patrick Duffy's The Official Mixer's Manual and spotted the Gilroy; I tracked the recipe back to Boothby's 1934 World Drinks And How To Mix Them before I gave up and decided to make the drink. I am always up for the Heering and lemon juice pairing after falling in love with the sour cherry flavor combination in the High Hat. The Gilroy is actually closer to another drink from a 1930's cocktail book, the Golfer's Special that I found in the Café Royal Cocktail Book. The two drinks are identical except for the Golfer's Special's using Lillet in place of the Gilroy's dry vermouth; however, when I made the Golfer's Special, I interpreted the cherry brandy as kirsch instead.
The Gilroy greeted my nose with a cherry aroma with perhaps a hint of lemon. The lemon and cherry on the sip came across almost like grenadine, and the cherry continued on into the swallow where it paired with the gin. Overall, the lemon and dry vermouth mellowed out the Cherry Heering such that it donated the cherry flavor but came across less like the liqueur and more like cherry juice.

No comments: