Monday, March 19, 2012

starboard light

2 oz Scotch (Famous Grouse)
1 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Nectar (Ceres)
2 bsp Honey (1/2 oz Honey Syrup 1:1)
1 Egg White

As written: Blend in a mixer with a scoop of shaved ice. Pour into a Starboard Light glass. Top with ice and decorate with mint and a fruit stick. Instead: I shook once without ice and once with ice and strained into a rocks glass filled with crushed ice. I garnished with an orange slice and omitted the out of season mint garnish.

In the Angry Barista post, I suggested that there was a lack of Scotch Tiki drinks and that was why I was drawn to that drink on the Stoddard's menu. One reader, Jason, left a comment that I should expand my search to Trader Vic's book which contains a few Scotch-laden Polynesian numbers. The one in our 1972 edition that caught my eye instead of the London Sour he recommended was the Starboard Light.
The Starboard Light offered up a Scotch aroma that was filled with citrus notes; I regret not having mint on hand for it would have worked well here on the nose. Next, a honey and lemon sip contained malt notes that were followed by a light Scotch smokiness paired with a lingering fruitiness on the swallow. The egg white certainly donated a smooth flavor profile; while I do not generally associate Tiki and egg drinks, I have indeed enjoyed them in the Chee Hoo Fizz, the Jamaican Bobsled Flip, and the Ben-Tiki Sour.

2 comments:

Jordan said...

What scotch did you use for this drink?

frederic said...

I went with a blended one, Famous Grouse. A dash of something smokey wouldn't hurt, but too much might distract from the other flavors.