Friday, November 2, 2012

a drink with something in it

1 oz Old Overholt Rye
1 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Campari
1/2 oz Dolin Blanc Vermouth
2 dash Peychaud's Bitters
6 drop Salt Water

Stir with ice and strain into a coupe glass. Twist a lemon peel over the top.
For the last round of drinks at Laurelhurst Market, my eye spied A Drink With Something in It that reminded me of something Maks Pazuniak might have created especially with the Campari, Punt e Mes, and salt. I did not ask bar manager Eric Nelson if the drink was named after the Ogden Nash poem, but I assume that it must have despite this being a rye and not a gin drink.
A Drink With Something In It
There is something about a Martini,
A tingle remarkably pleasant;
A yellow, a mellow Martini;
I wish I had one at present.
There is something about a Martini,
Ere the dining and dancing begin,
And to tell you the truth,
It is not the vermouth--
I think that perhaps it's the gin.
The twist's lemon oils joined the rye aroma and hint of Punt e Mes on the nose. Malt and grape on the sip were chased by rye followed by Punt e Mes and Campari that were mellowed out by the salt. The Dolin Blanc was less detectable here, but its softness and sweetness surely aided in the drink's exquisite balance.

2 comments:

David said...

So funny, Frederic, but when I read the ingredients of this one, I looked to see if Maks made it for you. He does have a style.

Dagreb said...

I read too quickly and saw "The Dolin Blanc was less delectable."