Tuesday, November 13, 2012

blackthorne variation

1 3/4 oz Jameson Black Barrel Irish Whiskey
1 oz Dolin Dry Vermouth
3/4 oz Green Chartreuse
1 barspoon Kübler Absinthe
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass.

On Halloween, we spent the evening at a fundraising event at No. 9 Park for Barbara Lynch's Meet the Worms organization. One of the drinks on the bar menu was a variation on the Blackthorn, a drink I had as I made my way through Anvil's 100 Drink List back in 2009. When I inquired about the origins of Green Chartreuse in their version, I got a simple answer that it tastes better that way; in the end, I had no argument to their rationale.
no. 9 park cocktail blackthorn irish whiskey
The addition of Green Chartreuse took over on the nose from the original's anise aroma from the absinthe. A dry wine and malt sip led into a Green Chartreuse swallow that ended with a light absinthe finish. Definitely, the Green Chartreuse shifted the drink's balance away from the Dry Manhattan-like feel of the classic and closer to a St. Moritz or Tipperary.

No comments: