Monday, November 5, 2012

nasturtium

2 oz Dolin Blanc Vermouth
1 oz Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur
1/2 oz Bonal Gentiane Quinquina

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.

After Beaker & Flask, Andrea was getting tired, so I dropped her off at the Ace Hotel where we were staying. When we passed by Clyde Commons which is below the Ace, I finally spotted some open seats, so I stopped in after returning from the room. The drink that caught my eye was the Nasturtium, and I asked bartender Jordan for this aperitif-like drink. I have a fondness for nasturtiums both in an aesthetic and culinary way. Besides using them in salads and as garnishes, I have also harnessed their peppery spice notes into cocktail bitters. Therefore, I was eager to see Clyde Common's homage to this flowering plant.
clyde commons morgenthaler nasturtium cocktail bar domaine de canton
The Nasturtium's lemon twist provided much of the drink's bouquet. A honey sweet grape sip flowed into a ginger and gentian swallow. Indeed, the drink had a sort of spicy and peppery finish much like the plant's flower and leaf.

2 comments:

SPS said...

Perhaps a reference (in name mostly) to the aperitif-y Chrysanthemum (of Savoy fame).

frederic said...

It definitely crossed my mind with the vermouth-forward recipe when I first saw the name and the ingredient list, but it veered away by ingredient and taste after that. The drink's flavor profile reminding me of the botanical ended up taking over.