Monday, February 11, 2013

tiger lily

1 oz Dark Rum (1/2 oz Appleton VX, 1/2 oz Plantation Barbados)
1/2 oz Brandy (Foret)
1/2 oz Curaçao (Senior Curaçao)
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Orange Juice (*)

Shake with ice and strain into an ice-filled rocks glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.
(*) The recipe was provided as 1/2 oz (7 mL). I ended up using the 1/2 oz instead of the 7 mL (which would be 1/4 oz) here.

Two Fridays ago, at the beginning of the cocktail hour, I decided to make the Tiger Lily that I spotted in the Big Bartender's Book. The source of the recipe is Ted Saucier's Bottom's Up; I had held off on making the recipe for a while since I could not spot the drink in my copy of Saucier and figured that there was a mis-attribution. I finally realized that the recipe resides in the 1951 first edition version and not in my 1962 second edition of the book. The Tiger Lily is credited to Robert Bushnell, and I have no further explanation for the recipe's removal.
tiger lily cocktail
The Tiger Lily's lemon peel oil aroma danced over that of the dark rum and hint of orange liqueur. Flavorwise, Andrea commented that it was very punch-like given its smooth citrussy balance. Indeed, the sip was mostly orange and lemon, until the ice melted and the rum's caramel notes came out. Next, the rum and brandy filled the swallow along with an orange peel finish.

No comments: