Thursday, December 24, 2015

unisphere

1 1/2 oz Gold Rum (2 oz Don Q Gold)
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1 tsp Grenadine (1/4 oz)
1/2 tsp Benedictine (1/4 oz)
1/2 tsp Pernod (1/2 barspoon or 1/16th oz Herbsaint)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
Two Sundays ago after my bar shift, I reached for a book that I rarely flip through, the 1971 Playboy's Host and Bar Book. My search for rare gems from this cocktail book written during the dark ages of mixology was indeed successful when I stumbled upon the Daiquiri variation called the Unisphere. The drink namesake Unisphere was built for the 1964-1965 World's Fair held in Queens, NYC, and this 12 stories high structure had the theme of "peace through understanding." Once built, the cocktail Unisphere presented an anise aroma from the Herbsaint. Next, the sip was fruity with crisp lime and hints of pomegranate, and the swallow proffered rum and herbal notes with a lingering anise finish.

No comments: