Tuesday, March 1, 2016

under the gun

1 oz Olmeca Altos Tequila
3/4 oz Lime Juice
3/4 oz Falernum
1/2 oz Crème de Cassis
2 dash Chili Bitters (*)

Shake with ice and strain into a coupe glass.
(*) A house-made habañero pepper in vodka infusion. A dash of hot sauce will work in a pinch.
A few Mondays ago, I popped into Brick & Mortar to get a nightcap on my way home from an event. There, I asked bartender Paul Yem for the Under the Gun which turned out to be his invention. I was drawn in for it reminded me of Trader Vic's Diablo with clove and chili instead of ginger as the spice element but kept short like a Count Diablo. Once built, the Under the Gun shared a tequila, cassis, and hint of pepper aroma. Next, lime and berry notes filled the sip, and agave, currant, and clove came through on the swallow along with a light heat aspect on the finish.

No comments: