Saturday, July 2, 2016

absent stars

1 oz La Favorite Rhum Agricole Blanc (Depaz)
1 oz Campari
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup
1/2 oz Apricot Brandy (Rothman & Winter)
5 drop Saline (1 pinch Salt)
10 drops Grapefruit Bitters (1 dash homemade)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange twist.

Two Saturdays ago, I turned to a recipe I spotted in a Punch article on new tropical drinks. The Absent Stars by Nick Detrich of New Orleans' Cane & Table was an alluring mix of Tiki flavors bolstered by some bitter notes from Campari. Nick later commented on my Instagram post that the star was noticeably present in my garnish, so I either should have used the remainder of the peel minus the star or another type of twist (although garnishing with irony perhaps is an option).
The Absent Stars shared a complex orange aroma that led into a citrussy sip with lemon and orange flavors. Next, the swallow offered grassy, bitter, and apricot notes.

No comments: