Friday, October 28, 2016

vickers

2/3 Rye (1 1/2 oz Sazerac)
1/3 Sweet Vermouth (3/4 oz Alessio)
1 dash Yellow Chartreuse (1/4 oz)
1 dash Picon (1/4 oz Amer Picon)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
Two Fridays ago for my nightcap, I turned to the whiskey section of Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 to find one of their Manhattan variations. There, I selected the Vickers that reminded me of a Creole with Yellow Chartreuse in place of the Benedictine. While the book gave no indication of the drink name origin, Vickers was a major weapons, armament, and ship builder that would have been duly noted during World War I. Once built, the Vickers shared a dark fruit nose from the Picon pairing with the vermouth. Similarly, those components contributed greatly to the grape and caramel sip, and the swallow showcased the rye with herbal notes finishing with bitter orange notes.

No comments: